Sunday, September 2, 2018

New Health Challenge!

     So, this is somewhat an extension of my last post. Since PA school has begun at UK, I have been slacking off with diet and exercise. For those in the medical field or still in school, you know how much time and effort school, studying and clinic takes and the amount stress it causes! Due to that, I have put on about 7 lbs in 1.5 years, and lost considerable GAINZ... I have tried fad diets and had a couple health-related goals over this time-frame, but nothing really ever stuck or motivated me enough, until now....

     My friend Joe from undergrad at UGA and I have constructed a challenge. The goal is to lose a certain amount of body fat percentage over a few months. We will be utilizing a handheld bioelectric impedance device to track our results! The challenge started two weeks ago and will last until Dec 15th, when our Christmas breaks begin, as we would love to enjoy some good holiday meals with family!
  • My Goal: to go from 19.2% body fat, down to 12% body fat
  • Joe's Goal: to go from 17% body fat, down to 10% body fat
     If we both meet our goal, we will both "win." But, if one of us does not meet their goal, there will be punishment... What punishment you ask? The winner will get to post an embarrassing photo to the loser's Instagram. This can be an old photo, or it can be a new photo with a pose/outfit chosen by the winner. Yes, both of us can technically lose!
  • To check the accuracy of handheld BIA devices: Handheld BIA vs. DEXA (PubMed)
    • *These devices have an error range of +/- 3.5%, and ensure proper hydration and measuring results at the same time of day, under the same circumstances.*
  • To purchase the handheld BIA device we are using: Handheld Body Fat Loss Monitor
I will not post many progress pics, but I will post the before pic (below; relaxed, flexed, side-relaxed) and and after pic once the challenge is complete! I will also post the Instagram photo if one of us does not meet our goal!!

To track my calorie intake, I use My Fitness Pal, (MyFitnessPal). This just helps hold me accountable for what I am eating, I would hate to have to log an unhealthy meal or snack and have that staring at me in the face! It's more motivating than you realize! And, the key to weight loss is caloric deficit (calories in - calories out = <0) I do not use the paid version of MyFitnessPal. I am also planning on exercising regularly and even adding cardio into my normal workout routine... I know, gross!
  • If you would like me to post my normal workout routine/schedule, just let me know!
Macro Goals:
  • Total Calories: 2,300 kcal
  • Carbohydrates: 259 g
  • Protein: 173 g
  • Fat: 64 g

No comments:

Post a Comment